The Challenges of Online Dating
Online dating has become increasingly popular and has replaced many conventional ways of dating. There are unique benefits associated with online dating that contribute to its success but also provides the source of many of some challenges that online deters need to overcome in order to be successful with online dating.
Benefits of Online Dating
The age-old question was always where to meet people and in what context you. Can branch out and meet new people. While many people may like to read, hanging out around the library looking for attractive people to date is just a little creepy. Online dating lets you branch out and meet people who you might otherwise not find in your social circle and let you possibly choose from a wider pool of
Meeting People Online is Hard
There are many challenges associated with dating people online through the various websites. Examples of issues that online daters may face while dating online include:
- dating disreputable people who may not be honest with their intentions
- weeding out scams either through the dating website itself or the individual people you meet on the website
- people who lead you on and ultimately are afraid to meet\
- people who are lying about who they are online which is commonly known as catfishing
- filtering through the vast number of profiles online
While all of these issues are problems in and of themselves there are ways to address these problems yourself with some techniques when searching for someone online.
Sorting Through the Profiles and Avoiding the Fakes
Many people will create fake online dating profiles for the purpose of either entertaining themselves or simply as some sort of scam. Some dating sites, often those that are geared towards finding some international bride who will request money before you meet with them, are often scams and require you to pay money before you even meet a person face to face. To try to avoid these scams associated with online dating you can take the following steps:
- look through only reputable dating websites with many users and check on the better business bureau for reviews and complaints
avoid sending any money to anybody other than the fee for using the website. Make sure this fee is reasonable and less than a $50 fee per month or so. Never send money to another user despite whatever problems that they are facing. It, quite simply, is likely a scam of some kind and not one that you should fall for
- obtain some personal information on the user who is contacting you and try to verify what they tell you on other websites including social media. Few people don’t have social media accounts and cross-reference the individuals and what they tell you to other websites that they have.
- A name of an individual and their employer should help to do some research on a person and make sure that they are who they say they are doing
- Treat the Individual you are meeting when online dating as a stranger and be sure to vet them before you put yourself in compromising situations.
- Sorting through the Profiles
It is a good idea to use online dating sites that have some basic searching functionality associated with it that allows you to filter the profiles on the website. Most online dating websites have some basic search functionality that allows you to select individuals by location, age, ethnicity, and interests.
This can be a great tool to understand the options out there on the dating website, but keep in mind that it is not sufficient. You will need to also do additional searches in order to find the individuals who you match with. Spend some time researching people and avoid profiles that don’t have photos and lots of information about the person. Avoid revealing too much about yourself initially but convey information about yourself and what you like and see if you have a match of any kind. Even if you feel as if this is the perfect person for you, be sure to take it with a grain of salt and don’t build up too much of an expectation for a person. It takes a lot of time to build up a rapport with others.
Online dating sites are a great way to meet new people but it poses its own unique challenges. Be sure to do research on people you meet and use the available tools, both on the online dating website as well as through search engines, to effectively maneuver the dating site to find the right match for you.